Bid on it here.
Archive for the ‘Auctions’ Category
Thanks again to everyone who donated items for our auctions, and thanks to everyone who bid on the items we posted in December. Steph is still working out the total for everything so far, but it looks like it should be well over $1,000.
And we’re not done! We still have plenty of items to auction off, including some additional art, several books sent to us by Fantagraphics and IDW, and much more! We’ll start posting those after the new year, so watch for an update then!
Just a quick reminder, the auction for the Colleen Doran original artwork from Sandman ends at 7:18 pm PST tonight.
On Thursday, Michael L Mac Donald provided an update for folks over at the Back to Tea Fire Survivors: Lance and Carla Hoffman Facebook page:
This past weekend showed more improvement for Lance & Carla. Carla is making steady progress in movement, eating, walking, and is gaining strength knowing that Lance is improving as well. She visits him at the entry to his room and makes him smile. The regimen of healing is exhausting but she is determined. They clearly give each other strength so vital to recovery.
Lance continues to have some complications but is improving as well. He is alert and attempts to communicate with only his eyebrows and silent lips. It was great to see the real Lance in his eyes again but very frustrating to know that he has so much to say and has to keep silent. I’m really bad at the multiple choice game in trying to interpret his lips but it’s great to know that his brain is working and it’s just a matter of time. Either today or tomorrow the doctor plans to exchange his current trach. for a slightly smaller one which will allow him to talk a bit! He is mostly able to breathe without the ventilator but at times they do need to assist him with oxygen again. His lungs are getting stronger and he’s gaining momentum in his battle with the pneumonia. I know that being able to see Carla has assisted him greatly in his own healing journey.
Michael also discussed in general terms the December 15 Star Trek II Wrath of Khan fundraising evening, but rather than take all of his news, I suggest you follow the link for the full scoop.
As for the auction, there are a few items that only have a day or left before the item closes. For example, you can score Alan’s War: The Memories of GI Alan Cope graphic novel by Emmanuel Guibert. I can’t think of a better deal for all parties, help Lance and Carla, as well as purchase a book that has been named “… a PW Best Book of the Year, a National Public Radio Best Graphic Novel of the Year …“
I love this industry. To paraphrase Uncle Billy from Frank Capra’s It’s A Wonderful Life: “We told a few people you were in trouble and they scattered all over town collecting money. They didn’t ask any questions — just said: ‘… count on me.’ ” The outpouring of support for Lance and Carla is seemingly endless and deeply appreciated by everyone involved.
This morning, Stephanie let me know she had set up a string of new auctions. This particular batch of auctions end on Sunday. There is a bevy of great material to bid on, including:
– Original Art from Absolute Sandman Volume 2 by Colleen Doran (donated by the artist)
– LOT of 7 Will Eisner Books (donated by John DiBello and Bully): Will Eisner’s New York (hardcover collection); The Contract With God Trilogy (hardcover collection); Life, In Pictures (hardcover collection); The Plot (hardcover); Comics & Sequential Art (paperback); Expressive Anatomy (paperback); and Graphic Storytelling (paperback)
– LOT of 15 Will Eisner Books (donated by by John DiBello and Bully): A Contract With God; A Life Force; City People Notebook; Comics & Sequential Art; Dropsie Avenue; Expressive Anatomy; Graphic Storytelling; Invisible People; Name Of The Game; New York: The Big City; The Plot; The Building; The Dreamer; To The Heart Of The Storm; and The Will Eisner Reader
– Lot of 8 TOP SHELF Graphic Novels (donated by Top Shelf): Too Cool To Be Forgotten hardcover by Alex Robinson; The Surrogates trade paperback by Robert Venditti and Brett Weldele; Veeps: Profiles in Insignificance hardcover by Bill Kelter and Wayne Shellabarger (this is a nonfiction book; the rest are graphic novels); Korgi Book 2 by Christian Slade hardcover; Essex County Vol. 3: The Country Nurse by Jeff Lemire softcover; Yam Bite-Sized Chunks by Corey Barba softcover; Johnny Boo by James Kochalka hardcover; and Swallow Me Whole by Nate Powell hardcover
– Original art from The Collected And Then One Day (donated by the artist, Ryan Claytor)
We have a bunch of new auctions up on eBay, including:
- New Teen Titans Archives vol 1 signed by George Perez
- The Complete Peanuts vol 9: 1967-68
- Walt Kelly’s Our Gang: 1945–1946
- The Original Nexus
And much, much more! Check them all out here.
Tonight I uploaded a few more auctions, including the Signed Limited Edition Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8: Long Way Home Hardcover Graphic Novel. This graphic novel was originally only available to retailers. Inside features a signed original sketch by cover artist sensation Jo Chen. My good friend Roger Broemeling donated this graphic novel, saying that he felt compelled to put it towards a good cause, and to help find a new home and owner to love it.
Other items posted today include a Zatanna bust generously donated by my local comic shop, Happy Harbor Comics in Edmonton, Alberta. I also tossed up another unopened video game from my personal collection, this time the Japanese version of Kingdom Hearts II.
And just a reminder that some auctions will be ending this Thursday, including a complete six-page 1963 Betty & Veronica story by Dan DeCarlo , the now out of print Absolute Danger Girl HC and Absolute Authority HC.
Again, thanks to every single one of you for the donations, the bids and the links to the site and auctions! You’re all awesome for making this possible. Please continue to keep Carla and Lance in your thoughts.
The first auctions are up:
They include three items donated by IDW’s Scott Dunbier — Absolute Authority Vol. 1, Absolute Danger Girl and original art from a six-page Betty & Veronica story from 1963! Thanks to Scott for these generous donations. Now go bid!
Thanks to Stephanie Chan for posting them. These are the first of many!
Our friend Carla Hoffman and her husband Lance are in critical condition after being burnt while trying to flee the Tea Fire that engulfed the area around Santa Barbara. Both of them are in Irvine, Calif., in the burn unit; you can read the latest update on their condition here or here. In addition, they lost their home and most likely all of their possessions in the fire.
Carla blogged with us on Blog@Newsarama for the past 2+ years, and during that time I’ve had the opportunity to hang out with her and Lance at various conventions. They’re both absolutely wonderful people, and my fellow contributors and I decided to put together some charity auctions on eBay to help them out. We’ve gathered up several hardcovers, review copies of recent video games, etc. that we no longer need, which we’ll start auctioning off next week. Watch this blog for details soon.
If you’d just like to donate some money to them, you can mail a check to the fund that the Montecito Fire Department set up for them:
The Lance and Carla Burn Fund
Santa Barbara Bank and Trust
1483 East Valley Road
Montecito, CA 93108-1248